The 2023 Hurston/Wright Crossover Award, sponsored by ESPN’s Andscape
The Hurston/Wright Crossover Award, sponsored by ESPN’s Andscape, honors probing, provocative, and original new voices in literary nonfiction. Named after the most common dribbling move in basketball, the Crossover Award, aims to highlight an unconventional winner who writes across genres and can effectively crossover between writing styles and techniques. The name also speaks to the potential of the award winner to transition from obscurity to the spotlight. This award will celebrate one writer who contributes a unique perspective to the literary nonfiction landscape.
The award submission period closes April 1, 2023. The winner of the award, which includes a cash prize, will be announced during the 21st Annual Legacy Awards Ceremony in October 2023.
Due to the hardships many are facing during the pandemic, Hurston/Wright is waiving the application fee.
- Unpublished, Black writers who are 18 years and older are eligible.
- Writers who have published books, including poetry books or fiction narratives, through any publishing platform, are not eligible.
- Writers who currently work for the Hurston/Wright Foundation or are related to current employees or board members of the Hurston/Wright Foundation are ineligible.
- All work submitted must be original and unpublished at the time of submission. Hurston/Wright does not accept simultaneous submissions.
- Submissions must be works of literary nonfiction.
- Essays should explore and illuminate the various intersections of culture and society through innovative storytelling, original reporting and/or provocative commentary.
- Submissions may be stand-alone essays or excerpts from a book in progress.
- No more than 20 pages double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12-point font, and within 1-inch margins.
- Put title of the work on each page of the submission.
- Do not put the author’s name on the pages of the work. All submissions will be screened and judged anonymously.
- Provide a separate page with the title of the work, name and contact information of author.
- Author name and contact information should not appear on the submission. All submissions will be judged anonymously by a distinguished published author of literary nonfiction.
- Winning works may be published in whole or in part by Hurston/Wright online or in print. Your submission gives the Hurston/Wright Foundation and our sponsor, ESPN, permission to publish an excerpt or the entire work. The author retains all rights.
- Hurston/Wright maintains the right to decline any submission not deemed eligible.
- $2000 to one recipient
- Tuition-free attendance of a 2023 Hurston/Wright summer writer’s workshop
- Complimentary ticket to the annual Legacy Awards Ceremony in October 2023
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org